February 29, 2012

Everyday Beauty

I often let my camera go unused for lack of inspiration. But yesterday as I looked around at everything that was going on around me, I remembered the reason I ever picked up a camera in the first place. When I was younger I didn't photograph to get perfect photos every time, I took pictures to capture memories - the little things in life that I didn't want to forget. Little siblings playing with the kittens, the big smile on my sister's face as she splashes in a mud puddle, a Lego creation that my brother made. They weren't perfect...but they captured real, un-staged moments. I find myself falling into the routine of only picking up my camera when I see "the perfect photo" instead of capturing those beautiful, everyday memories.  Yes, staged photo shoots are fun...but I also want to capture the precious moments that I often overlook or forget about. I want to capture the real happenings from my real life - the little things that make each day a special gift from the Lord.

So I set out on a quest to capture some of those moments.
Not perfect pictures, just everyday happenings.
And you know what? I had a lot of fun!


>> Lydia is our craft queen. She'll take paper, foam trays, toilet paper tubes, glitter glue, toothpicks, and anything else she can find and turn them into some little work of art. Hardly a day passes that she can't be found at the dining room table with supplies in hand, hard at work on her latest creation.



>> Over the last week or two we've been starting seeds under the grow lights in our basement. Just in the last few days some of the little onions have started to poke their tiny green heads above the soil.


>> Legos. What would a home be without Legos spread all over the floor? When it comes to building things, my brother's brains work in ways that mine never will. "That crank turns this gear, which causes this little thingy over here to do go down, which will then make the wheels turn..." I just smile and nod and pretend that I understand how it works...



>> Sarah decided to try growing some flowers under the grow lights. It's so hard to believe that it's already the time of year to be starting them! Miriam seems to be Sarah's little shadow, and was trying to help out as much as she could.



>> A mocha...after getting up at 5:00 for my early morning babysitting job, I needed a little caffeine to keep me awake for the rest of the day. That's a pretty good excuse, right?


I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens, but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.
- L.M. Montgomery

3 comments:

  1. Nice pictures! They really capture the moments!

    Blessings,
    Jessica

    p.s. I love mocha too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love capture-the-moments pictures. Yours turned out just beautiful! =)
    -Lily-

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post!
    You're such a talented photographer.
    So true. There is so much beauty in the regular things of life.
    I can really relate to the legos on the floor. =)
    I like the photo of your coffee. Yum. B&W photos are the best!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete