September 8, 2011

Attitude of Gratitude

It's easy to focus on the things that I'm not content about.

Someone has something that is "bigger and better" than me. 

It's raining when I want it to be sunny.

Plans fail. 

People disappoint. 

It's not too hard to make a long list of complaints and then dwell on those throughout the day. We even go so far as to turn around and grumble about the very blessings God has given us.


But how often do we go through life with an attitude of gratitude? Living with the "I wish this...I wish that..." mindset is just going to make our life miserable. If asked what I was thankful for, you may hear, "God, family, Bible, house, food, etc"...you know, the same stuff that everyone says. And its true, I AM thankful for those things, but God often places in our day other little blessings that we overlook. Little things that we are too busy to notice. Things that we forget to thank God for...

My littlest sister running up to me and informing the that she's Jessie the cowgirl (from Toy Story) and that she's going to ride on me because I'm Bulls-eye her horse - she won't be little forever...

Cool breezes signaling that autumn is near...

My dad and sister doing chores for me if I'm gone for the evening...

Sisters to laugh with...

Getting an encouraging note from a friend...

The warm sunshine on a beautiful Summer (or Fall) day...

The rain which nourishes the plants...

If I really start looking, there are so many little blessings in each day! One suggestion that I heard from someone was to start a gratitude journal and record the blessings that God places in your path, both large and small, and then to keep that as a reminder of how blessed we truly are.


Now here's the hard part for me. When things don't go the way that I planned, sometimes it's easy to forget that God has a purpose in it. It's easy to be thankful and praise God when life is "easy" and things are going according to plan, but what about when hopes are shattered or everything seems to be turned upside-down? Can we lift our hands in praise amidst the storm? In our walks with the Lord it's important to learn to praise and thank Him not only when things are going "our way", but also when things are hard. We have to remember that He is in control over everything, and that He will use it for His glory. It's often the storms that God uses to draw us closer to Himself, so let's praise and thank Him even if the rain is falling.

Whether the sun is shining or the road is difficult, let's seek to live life with an attitude of gratitude, thanking the Lord for all that He has done, all that He is doing, and all of those little blessings that He gives us.


"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

"Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; his love endures forever."
Psalm 107:1 

No comments:

Post a Comment